Lab Series For Men was the first brand to take men’s grooming seriously—and they still do.
The year was 1987. Although there were dozens of balms, tonics, aftershaves and moisturizers supplying the men’s grooming market, there really wasn’t a whole lot of biologically advanced skincare targeting a man’s mug nearly three decades ago without perusing the “women’s” aisles in upscale department stores. Truth is, back then most men just didn’t bother working that hard to look good. Remember, shopping online wasn’t an option either.
Lucky for us men, that has all changed—big time. Backed by the science and research of The Estée Lauder Companies, Lab Series For Men set out to develop simple, effective products with proven results, based on a man’s specific lifestyle needs and course of aging. And, boy, do they ever.
Fast forward to right now and the Lab Series line currently caters to multiple generations of men. Meaning multiple generations of aging cycles. So not only has the brand become more specific and comprehensive as an all male anti-aging line, Lab Series also understands that men still yearn for results and simplicity. To that end, Lab Series is celebrating its anniversary with PRO LS All-In-One Face Treatment. A singular, does-it-all, one-product dynamo that soothes, moisturizes, repairs and mattifies (anti-shines). Perfect for the days we’re running late, traveling or at the gym. I did say it was perfect—one product, one step.
Lab Series is broken down into two groups: Lab Series (Age Rescue) and the MAX LS for maturing skin. It’s actually three groups if you count their PRO LS All-In-One Face Treatment.
So when I was asked to test-drive the Lab Series product line, I waited for a long week of travel to crack it open. What a nice surprise from my usual horde of skincare I travel with. So let’s discuss the easy age-reversal solution at hand. Remember, you can cherry-pick to simplify: Cleanse (or scrub), moisturize (face and eyes), treat more intensely at night (serum and cream).
- MAX LS Daily Renewing Cleanser. A fresh, rich foaming cleanser that actually foams and leaves skin feeling moist. Leaves no residue when done. If I scrub before a shave in the morning, I move this product to my quick night cleanse.
- Invigorating Face Scrub. Aside from lifting your beard as a pre-shave tool, it preps the skin for all products to work better by circulating and lifting away dead skin, leaving a fresh, zingy feel to your face. And your beard comes off without drag or resistance.
- Smooth Shave Oil. Truth? I love this product. Like most guys, another step in the routine isn’t welcome—until you try this step. Pre-shave oil makes a razor glide like butter. Although it can be used alone, I prefer it under my shave cream. HINT: Use hot tap water to remove shave debris and heat up your blade. You’ll be hooked and your skin will thank you.
- Maximum Comfort Shave Cream. The ultimate shave cream is patented to reduce irritation and promote razor glide, for a close, smooth shave. HINT: Continue working in hot water drops to each area as you proceed with shaving, making the glide process easier. You’ll use less product, too.
- Electric Shave Solution. I really like an electric pre-shave product. This concentrated liquid builds a protective layer on the skin and lifts beards for a smoother electric shave. Vitamin E cools and refreshes the skin. If I have a really early morning, I may use an electric razor while I’m having coffee.
- MAX LS Skin Recharging Water Lotion. Not your average toner whatsoever. I found this product to be unique, indulgent and noticeable. A weightless hydrating liquid with Molecular Age-Less Complex is charged with Aquatron technology. What? It removes old, dull skin without disrupting its moisture barrier or natural pH. Wipe with a cotton ball after cleansing (or shaving) as your first line of defense before serum and moisturizer.
- MAX LS Light Moisture Lotion. This is one ultra-rich lotion that’s perfect for daytime or warmer climates. It contains the exclusive Molecular Age-Less Complex, which helps to prevent and repair the signs of aging.
- MAX LS Age-Less Face Cream. The same time-reversal formula with more weight. Meant for day or night, I used this in the evenings after serum. Perfect for thirsty skin or as a regular treatment.
- Age Rescue Eye Therapy (plus Ginsing). OK, I was really surprised at the extended results of this anti-wrinkle eye balm. This went beyond just a topical cure—lines were diminished. A great secret weapon for men. I won’t tell anyone.
- MAX LS Instant Eye Lift. Had a late night? Starting to show the effects of time? Sagging eyelids? Do what women have known for years. Fix it. The incredible lifting action of this gel-cream can actually be felt and seen. Works wonders, without shine or bleeding into eyes.
So, yes, my anti-aging routine is more comprehensive than most (this is, after all, my job). But yours doesn’t have to be too much work. Remember: Clean, hydrate, treat at night. You can also take the Lab Series “What’s My Skin Type” online quiz at LabSeries.com if you’re unsure and even give their “how to” videos a try. Listen, guy—make the effort and you’ll see results. Younger looking skin is a pretty cool thing to boast about.